Manipal university or The Manipal Academy of Higher Education is connected with academic achievement. In the enormous University town, nestled on a plateau in Karnataka’s Udupi district, over 28,000 students from 57 different countries live, learn, and play. It also boasts over 2500 teachers and almost 10,000 additional support and service workers who serve the numerous professional institutions on the Wi-Fi-enabled campus, which include health sciences, engineering, management, communication, and humanities.
Off-campuses are located in Mangalore and Bangalore, as well as off-shore campuses in Dubai (UAE) and Melaka (Malaysia). Medical, dentistry and nursing programmes are available on the Mangalore campus. Regenerative Medicine programmes are available at the Bangalore Campus. Engineering, management, and architecture programmes are available on the Dubai campus, while medicine and dentistry programmes are available on the Melaka site.
The Manipal Group, a 60-year-old leader in higher education services, now owns and runs campuses in India’s Sikkim and Jaipur, as well as Nepal, Malaysia, and Antigua in the Caribbean.
Dr. T. M. A. Pai created India’s first private medical school, Kasturba Medical College, in 1953, and the Manipal Institute of Technology followed five years later. Initially, Karnataka University, Dharwad, and subsequently, the University of Mysore, conferred degrees. Mangalore University granted them from 1980 to 1993. The present organisational structure was established in 1993, when the UGC granted deemed university status to Kasturba Medical College and Manipal College of Dental Sciences. In the year 2000, Manipal Institute of Technology became a part of Manipal Academy of Higher Education.
Manipal University’s Campus
Manipal’s campus is 600 acres (2.4 km2) in size and is located in the university town of Manipal. The health sciences campus and the MIT campus are separated. A big library, an indoor sports facility, and a museum are all located on campus.
In the QS World University Rankings of 2020, Manipal Academy of Higher Education was rated 701-750. It was rated 239 in Asia in 2020 and 120 among the BRICS countries in 2019. MAHE was placed 351-400 in Medicine in the QS World University Rankings for 2021.
In India, Manipal Academy of Higher Education was rated 14th overall and 8th among universities by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2020. The Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences was also ranked seventh in India by NIRF. In 2018, the institute was one of the first six to be designated as an Institute of Eminence
Some of the notable people studied in Manipal University
- Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Indian politician and multimillionaire entrepreneur who is currently serving as Union Minister of State & Member of Parliament in the upper house (Rajya Sabha) of the Indian Parliament.
- Rajeev Suri, CEO of Nokia
- Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft
- Shamsheer Vayalil, an Indian radiologist and businessman. He is the founder, chairman and managing director of VPS Healthcare Group and the vice chairman and managing director of Amanat Holdings, a healthcare and education investment company.
- Vinod K Jose:, Journalist and Editor of The Caravan.
- Mirza Faizan, Indian aerospace scientist who developed the Ground Reality Information Processing System (GRIPS)
- Arun Shenoy, Grammy Award-nominated musician
- Nag Ashwin, an Indian film director.
- Anant J Talaulicar, president and CEO, Cummins India Ltd.
- Vikas Khanna, Michelin Guide Star Chef
- Annapoorna Kini, American cardiologist and a Professor of Cardiology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City.
- Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor, Malaysian orthopedic surgeon and the first Malaysian astronaut.
- Esha Gupta, Bollywood actor and model.
- Disha Oberoi, popularly known as R J Disha, is a Radio Jockey from Bangalore, India.
- Nithya Menen, an Indian actor.